|Tweet||Printable Version||Email This|
Blessings are not mere earthly things and material possessions. Blessings are whatever good things God has for you in the store. Therefore please keep your mind and heart open.
Let me present to you the main principals of getting for God’s blessings?
Text: Joel 2:12-29
A. Your personal need, (Joel 1:4; 13-14; 2:1; 12-13; 2:15-17)
i. Some say they have no (spiritual) need. This is the biggest hindrance, (Revelation 3:14-22)
ii. The rich young ruler, (Luke 18)
- Kept the law of Moses.
- Jesus addressed his greed of money. He was not willing to acknowledge his greed.
iii. With recognition of need comes repentance.
iv. Don’t seek to accuse others, allow the Holy Spirit to confront you.
B. God’s sovereignty, (Joel 2:18-20)
i. No one can prevent God from blessing you accept yourself.
ii. Consider Isaiah 48:11. He has given us his name.
- Moses… ‘The Lord shall fight for you…’ Exodus 14:14
- David… ‘When thou hearest the sound of a going’… (II Samuel 5:24)
- ‘No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper’ (Isaiah 54:17)
C. God’s promises (Joel 2:21-27)
i. The major emphasis is restoration
ii. 32000 promises in scripture
iii. Balaam’s word to king Balak, (Numbers 23:19)
- The first step is to recognize your personal need, God’s sovereignty and his promises.
2. Follow the requirements
A. You cannot purchase God’s blessings. But you must meet certain requirements.
B. Blessings (even promises) conditional. Free but not cheap. We must fullfil some requirements.
C. The widow in 2 Kings 4:1-7, an amazing example.
D. This miracle calls for two specific actions
i. Faith: Our faith fails because we focus on the result.
- ‘Without faith it is impossible to please God, Hebrews11:6
- Could be before the miracle and after the miracle
- Example: Raising Lazarus from the death (John 11)
- Roll away the stone (v. 38-40) Pre miracle obedience
- Remove the grave clothes (v. 44) Post miracle obedience
E. Both faith and obedience is a must. One without another is ineffective.
Assuming you followed the above principals let me share with you the following principals of application.
A. God is a God of purpose. His blessings are for our benefits and his glory.
B. 2 Major responses are,
i. Willingness to change: Leave the old man, (2 Corinthians 5:17); Glorify God…, ( 1 Corinthians 6:20)
ii. Have a victorious attitude not a victim attitude.
iii. Ready accept responsibility
- God’s blessings are not for selfish ambitions
- To whom much is given much is required, (Luke 12:48)
- God’s blessings does not mean that you are superior to others
Response to God’s blessing is a factor in determining the quality/degree of the blessing you receive.
- Material blessing
- Ministerial gifts
- Spiritual blessings
First, approach God with soul searching and repentance. Be honest before God. Faith and obedience will assure that you receive God’s blessings. Second be willing to change. Then accept the responsibility of sharing Christ’s love with one another.