Text: Luke 2:8-20
The Angels brought the message of Christ’s birth only to Shepherds.
- Jesus is the savior of the whole world. He is the King of kings and the Lord of lords. Such an important message was delivered to an insignificant bunch of Shepherds.
- God intentionally ignored the noblemen, Wise men and even the Jewish leaders.
- Shepherds are poor, uneducated, probably were not people others could hang around with (stinking, filthy, you name it!)
- Then why did God chose Shepherds? Let me give you 3 reasons, and see what we can learn from it?
The first reason why God chose Shepherds was,
1. To show that He cares for those who have been overlooked by the world.
1 Corinthians 1:26-28 says of whom God chooses. Those who are,
i. Not wise by humans standards
ii. Not very powerful in the eyes of human.
iii. Not born to a privileged position as viewed by man
The second reason why God chose Shepherds was,
2. To show that, everyone is important in the presence of God.
i. Salvation is not only for a chosen group of people, caste, class or a nation.
ii. Divine revelation is not limited for a group of specific people.
iii. God doesn’t determine potential for service by human standards.
The third reason why God chose Shepherds is,
3. To show that God chooses any one who responds in faith.
i. Herod responded in anger.
ii. Shepherds responded in faith.
iii. What was their response?
“Let us go over to Bethlehem and see this thing that has taken place that the Lord has made known to us. So they hurried off and located Mary and Joseph, and found the baby lying in a manger. When they saw him, they related what they had been told about this child, and all who heard it were astonished at what the shepherds said.”
i. Do you fit the profile of a Shepherd? Or do you feel even worst. (Feeling that you are sinner, worthless, looked down by the society, insignificant) Rejoice, for Jesus came to this world to save people like you.
ii. God’s love doesn’t know any caste, class, race, position or title. It freely reaches to everyone who believes. You must decide whether you want to accept this love or not.
iii. The wise men brought expensive gifts when they visited Jesus. The Shepherds had nothing but their faith. There is only one thing you can give unto Jesus in exchange with His love and acceptance. Simply believe that only He can save you and invite Him in to your life!
iv. Let this Christmas change your life forever…!