Image by: dtcchc
Psalm 92:10 "I shall be anointed with fresh oil."
Read Luke 4:18-19; 2 Corinthians 1:21-22; I John 2:27a (emphasize: Just as Christ was anointed; so are we anointed)
The current revival that is sweeping the world speaks a great deal about "the anointing of God." The term raises several questions. In these next two messages I want to attempt to answer some of those questions:
I. WHAT IS "THE ANOINTING?"
A. Vines says that the term "anoint" means to "smear" ointment on something to ceremonially separate that person or object for a special purpose.
B. In the O.T. it is most often used for the setting apart of the Prophets and Kings (I Kings 19:16) "And Jehu the son of Nimshi shalt thou anoint to be king over Israel: and Elisha the son of Shaphat of Abelmeholah shalt thou anoint to be prophet in thy room." (Also priests: Exodus 28:41–Aaron)
C. Sacred temple vessels were also anointed for consecration.
D. The term "Messiah" comes from the Hebrew word for "anointed"; Jesus was set apart to be the sacrificial lamb.
E. BUT: It is more than just ceremonial; something spiritually significant happens when one is anointed: (1 Samuel 16:13)
"Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward."
F. Not just an O.T. concept: See texts above
II. WHAT IS THE PRESENT DAY PURPOSE FOR THE ANOINTING?
This is not an exhaustive list:
A. The anointing to WITNESS: Acts 1:8 (If you have the oil of the Holy Spirit in you, you already have the anointing to witness; use it or lose it!)
B. The anointing to PREACH: Acts 2:14ff (Peter the Wimp became Peter the Powerhouse after the anointing of the Holy Spirit came upon him in the Upper Room.)
C. The anointing for the GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT: (The Holy Spirit–the anointing Agent–is the initiator of all the gifts)
D. The anointing for HEALING: Read Acts 3:1-8 (Thousands of lame men lined the streets of Jerusalem, but Peter felt the anointing for healing on this occasion)
E. The anointing for DELIVERANCE: Read Acts 16:16-18 (The girl had followed Paul for many days, but only when he sensed the anointing did he cast out the devil.)
F. The anointing for FINANCIAL FREEDOM: Read Luke. 4:18,19)
1. The "good news" to the poor is not poverty
2. The "acceptable year" is O.T. jargon for the year of jubilee, when all debts were cancelled and all men were set free from financial bondage and slavery.
3. God does not want His people to be in debt!
4. If you will obey His biblical principles you can and will become debt-free and financially independent of others.
III. WHAT IS THE NATURE OF THE ANOINTING?
A. The anointing of God is TANGIBLE: There is visible evidence when the anointing of God is present.
1. I Kings 8:10,11 (The priests could not stand to minister because of the glory of God was presented there.)
2. Judges 16:14 (Samson shook himself and the strength of God came into his body.)
3. Acts 3:1-8 (The Lame man at the Gate Beautiful was healed, went walking and leaping . . . )
4. Acts 10:9-11 (Peter, praying, fell into a trance . . . )
5. 2 Corinthians 12:2-5 (Paul caught up to the third heaven . . . )
6. Mark 9:17-27 (The child was left "as one dead" after the evil spirit was cast out of him.)
7. Revelation 1:17 (John fell at Jesus feet "as one dead")
B. The anointing of God is TEMPORARY: It is given to meet the need of the moment.
1. I Kings 8:10,11 (The priests were not falling down drunk every time they ministered)
2. Judges 16:14 (Samson did not have that anointing after his hair was cut–not until later did God restore the anointing to him.
3. Acts 3:1-8 (Peter and John did not heal every lame man.)
4. Acts 10:9-11 (Peter did not fall into a trance every time he prayed.)
5. II Corinthians 12:2-5 (Paul not always caught up to 3rd heaven)
6. Revelation 1:17 (If John had fallen down every time he prayed he never could have written the book of Revelation)
7. There are SPECIAL TIMES OF ANOINTING when God moves in a supernatural way. (Luke 5:17 "And it came to pass on a certain day, as he was teaching, that there were Pharisees and doctors of the law sitting by, which were come out of every town of Galilee, and Judea, and Jerusalem: and the power of the Lord was present to heal them." (KJV)
C. The anointing of God is TRANSFERABLE: It can be conveyed to another person or even a thing. IMPORTANT: God does the healing, but He uses people as instruments.
1. Numbers 27:18-23 (Moses laid his hands upon Joshua and gave "some of his honour" to Joshua)
2. John 20:21-23 (Jesus commissioned His disciples by breathing on them and sending them in the power of the Holy Ghost, " . . . so send I you."
3. Acts 8:14-19 (Peter and John laid hands on the Samaritans and they received the Holy Ghost; Simon was impressed.)
4. Acts 9:17,18 (Ananias laid hands on Saul and the Holy Ghost came upon him, call of God confirmed.)
5. I Timothy 4:14 (Presbytery–including Paul–laid hands on Timothy.) See also 2 Timothy 1:6
6. Even inanimate things can be anointed of God:
a. In Exodus Moses' rod was used for several miracles, river turned to blood, Red Sea parted, rock/water
b. In 2 Kings. 4:29-37 Elisha sent his staff to be laid on a dead child; it did not work and he had to go and stretch his body over the boy to revive him.
c. In 1 Kings. 19:19 the call of God came to Elisha through Elijah's mantle
d. In 2 Kings. 2:13,14 the power of God came to Elisha through Elijah's mantle
e. In John 9:6 Jesus made clay from spit and the healing anointing in that clay healed a blind man.
f. In Acts 19:12 Handkerchiefs and aprons carried anointing from Paul's body to the sick
g. In Acts 5:15 Peter's shadow had anointing upon it.
IV. HOW CAN I RECEIVE THIS ANOINTING?
A. By FAITH (as is every other gift of God)
1. Ask in faith
2. Receive in faith
3. Act in faith
B. Personal worthiness is not at issue here
1. Peter was a brash, loud-mouthed racist
2. Paul was a cocky, prideful murderer
3. Elijah tended toward moodiness and depression
C. This does not excuse worldliness and bad behaviour, but God is not looking for perfect vessels; "We hold this treasure in earthen vessels."
D. Be willing for God to change your life
(Taken from Sermon notes CD, by Dr. Arnold Lastinger)