This message is among the 10 most important messages I have ever preached; yet, I do not recall ever having preached this. I have relegated it to the classroom and lecture hall, but I have never elevated it to the pulpit.
Yet, I believe this truth needs to be trumpeted from the highest housetop to everyone who will hear. Some here do not actually believe that the Bible is flawless and that it is God’s revelation of Himself to us. [A sermon by Dr. Arnold Lastinger. Used with permission]
I challenge you to read this message and read it until it sinks into your spirit. Then, give it to that friend who does not believe the Bible. Today, I want to give you four reasons why I believe the Bible and a lot of supporting the rationale.
“Every scripture is inspired by God and useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,” 2 Timothy 3:16
1. It is the word of God Indeed
A. God’s revelation of Himself to Man. Could speak verbally, but not all men would be sensitive enough to hear Him. Other major religions seek after their God; ours seeks after us!
B. Bible is flawless in its original language and form (any errors are errors of translation and/or copying). It is “inspired” by God. Our text uses the words “…God-breathed…”
C. To people of faith, we need nothing more than this to satisfy us. “But,” you may say that’s like a criminal testifying to his own innocence. Hardly convincing proof! Well, let me show you.
2. Foundation of all our Beliefs
A. How do we know there is a God:
For the music director; by David. Fools say to themselves, “There is no God.” They sin and commit evil deeds; none of them does what is right. (Psalms 14:1)
B. How do we know there is life after death:
Now the poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. And in hell, as he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far off with Lazarus at his side. (Luke 16:22)
C. How do we know Jesus died for our sins:
But God demonstrates his own love for us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)
D. How do we know about Heaven and Hell:
- But to the cowards, unbelievers, detestable persons, murderers, the sexually immoral, and those who practice magic spells, idol worshipers, and all those who lie, their place will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. That is the second death.” (Revelation 21:8)
- But our citizenship is in heaven – and we also await a savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ. (Philippians 3:20)
3. The logical conclusion to honest Inquiry
A. It is a well-integrated Unit:
- It is comprised of 66 books. Written over a span of 1600 years. Maybe much more
- Over 40 different authors. Yet, one single theme, the redemption of mankind
- How except by divine design could this be true? It’s something too complicated for people that lived then to come up with on their own
B. It survives textual Criticism:
- No major internal contradictions. It has the same theme although it’s a collection of 66 books written by 40 authors over a span of 1600 years.
- A factual account of historical data. It compliments all the well known historical events.
C. Archaeology vindicates It:
- No discovery has ever disproven any of it. On the contrary, archaeology confirms it.
- Dead Sea Scrolls confirmed instead of contradicted. Those scrolls are the third known oldest manuscripts of the Bible.
D. It answers most of the Questions:
- Evolution leaves more unanswered questions than it answers. Darwin’s “Origins of Species” itself has created many questions.
- The Bible in the other hand explains it all. One only has to read it with an open heart.
- Do you have a better explanation other we have in the Bible? An explanation that holds water.
4. It is supernaturally Powerful
A., Unlike other literary works, it is alive. Many lives have transformed just by reading it.
B. It evokes a response in the readers. It convicts them. Transforms them. No other book can do it.
C. Many tyrant rulers throughout history have made many efforts to destroy it completely. But it still exists.
If you want to know God read His Word. He wants to speak to you through His Word. If you do not already read His Word regularly, start now.
If this content was helpful to you, please consider leaving your feedback in the comments section at the bottom, sharing it with friends and family via email and social media, or both. It would be a great encouragement to me and a contribution to the edification of the Church.