Image by: trokilinochchi
1. Did you ever wonder why do bad things happen to godly people?
2. When many innocent people in Sri Lanka and other countries of Asia were affected by Tsunami in year 2004, many claimed it to be God’s wrath that came upon sinners. If this is true what about the Christians that died?
3. What would be your response to such a situation?
4. God has already answered these 2 questions in the book of Job.
5. In today’s sermon I want to bring these answers before you.
Text: Job Chapters 1 and 2
Answering the question why? – Read Job 1:6-12
1. Satan’s aim is to destroy our joy in God
A. He hates God and his children. He hates us so much some times we have more problem in life than the heathen does.
B. Satan can’t do any good. He is wicked in nature.
C. He uses calamity as a weapon to drift God’s children away from him, (Job 1:11-12)
2. God allows his people to be tested
A. Satan challenged that Job will reject God if he was tested.
B. God accepted the challenge, (Job 1:12).
C. It happened then – it can happen now, (Luke 22:31).
D. Satan is roaming the earth like a roaring Lion seeking to devour someone, (1 Peter 5:8).
Why does God allow His people to be tested?
3. To teach us faithfulness and loyalty, (Job 2:3-5)
A. God’s greatest joy is people who remain loyal to Him through situations in life.
B. God rejoiced in Job because Job remained faithful and loyal even in the midst of calamity, (Job 2:1-3)
Answering the question what to do?
4. Remember, God is sovereign
A. Sovereign: Above every one and everything (Romans 9:19-20; Psalms 115:3).
B. Submit to God’s will unconditionally, (Job 2:7-10).
5. Thank God and worship Him even in your greatest grief
A. Job thanked and worshiped God in his grief, (Job 1:21).
B. Job’s tears were not an expression of unbelief.
C. It’s not unspiritual to grieve at times of disaster. It’s not an indication of low faith.
D. Can you thank and worship God in times of grief? (1 Thessalonians 5:18)
6. Continue to trust in the goodness of God
A. Job’s wife rejected God. But Job did not, (Job 2:9)
B. Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself, my lips will praise you. (Psalms 63:3, NET)
C. The Lord is with you even in your sufferings.
D. Job was rewarded for remaining faithful in the midst of calamity
The Bible says: “The LORD pays attention to the godly and hears their cry for help.” (Psalms 34:15, NET) What a brilliant assurance!!!
Is there any one among you wondering, who these righteous and godly people are? Any one who accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour is counted righteous and godly in the eyes of our almighty God. If you are looking for everlasting peace & joy in your life and righteousness even in midst of calamity – then this your opportunity.